It seems we have to pause our Malayalam Cinema Death Watch due to the new director Ranjith Shankar. At a time of Red Chillies, Sagar alias Jackie and Love in Singapore, this new director has managed to create a movie which has fascinated people. (Reviews: 1, 2, 3).
What’s more important to the survival of the industry are the lessons from Passenger, which are not difficult to emulate.
- fresh story
- there are no unnecessary sub-plots or comic relief
- the movie manages to keep you riveted to the screen and interest never lags
- fresh characters who are not in typecast roles
- more or less credible situations
- good editing
- a realistic budget that keeps in mind the territory it caters to
- fiery passion of its creator
While this might seem common sense, it seems most film makers have forgotten this. We hope they will use this as a checklist when they make movies.